Monday, February 2, 2009

Hungry... Growing Food

Tonight I am getting ready to plant my first seeds of this growing season. I am going to plant peppers and eggplant tonight into little seed trays. To grow them up in the basement or kitchen window until such a time as I can plant them into our new country * Vinland * . They need 8-10 weeks before the last spring frost to make good transplants.

This new country * Vinland * is a series of container plantings that my plants can flourish in, instead of digging a garden. Digging a real garden, with my back, is impossible. A container garden... now that is do-able for me.

I have big plans for the food I want to grow... I have my seeds purchased... some of my containers and bins are ready for dirt. Of course, the dirt, which is actually a soil-less mixture is not ready, but soon. The 5 gal food grade buckets and rubbermaid type bins are waiting.

Soil-less won't stop the seedlings ... they will grow in peat pellets.

I am really looking forward to having our own veggies and fruits growing. Ask what I want for my April birthday... Two dwarf blueberry plants :) from Gurneys.com! or perhaps a dwarf clemantine orange or a key lime tree! anyway... my focus is on the raising up of healthy food for my family....

which brings me to my next point. What am I hearing from God about this garden in the works.

besides the obvious Song of Songs Garden imagery...

Tonight, he gently points out to me that I am to feed the hunger ... feed my kids in His word and learn and teach them His ways.

It wasn't that I didn't already know it... He just gently reminded me that the HUNGER is not just for healthy organically raised fruits and veggies...

the HUNGER is for Him, for His Word.

... His Touch ... His Promises ... His Indwelling Spirit ... His Signs ... His Wonders ... His Word.

The hunger increases, the more oil that flows into my life, onto my head... the hungrier I become... the more I realize I NEED more of Him... the more I hear, the more I want to hear...

somewhere among the diapers, the school lessons, the laundry and the paintbrushes...

I must reach for MORE of HIM...

sowing, tending, planting transplants, watering ...
reading, studying, waiting, searching, journaling

He reminds me of the importance that my children be able to stand rooted and grounded in Him in the days to come.

He is showing me how to sow that, how to grow that, how to root that...

How the food of this world is not food at all, but a counterfeit... a substitute for what He intended us to eat...

and THAT revelation is what Vinland is truly for.

Of course, we will enjoy the fruits of our garden as we go.

Truly local, organic peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, strawberries, carrots, lettuces, beets, turnips, beans, radishes, watermelon, spinach, etc. :)

Healthy food in a world that pushes the counterfeit.

No comments: