Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Every now and then I show my genius

Really.


This plant was growing at my Mom's house and I dug it up and brought it over with several daylilies, hostas, iris and narcissus. I thought it was a beautiful onion plant. We don't eat very many onions around here. I just thought it was pretty. Silly me.

It came up last year, it flowered early and then went to seed. It has a beautiful life cycle. Very pretty greens, gorgeous purple flowers, the flowers turn brown and dry on the stalk. If you break a stalk it smells like a mild onion. I kept seeing flowers in my herb book that reminded me of it, but had not put 2 and 2 together until this morning.

I looked at it's beautiful flower buds coming up...


decided to go to Wiki for a peek

and discovered.....


I have my very own Chive plant.

And it is bursting forth in green and violet beauty so early this spring.

:) Sheer Genius

No comments: