Sunday, March 15, 2009

I don't want to tell you...

Medium is happily home and resting. We keep asking him if he is hurting. He keeps shrugging us off with a no.

He only got took one IV shot of pain medicine after surgery, then he went the ENTIRE night with NO PAIN MEDS! The next morning he started with Ibuprofen and Tylenol 3.

The boy has an ability to tolerate high levels of pain and not say or act like it hurts that is unbelievable. Inconceivable really.

Major surgery four days ago... and refusing anything stronger than Ibuprofen.

We have stronger, he just doesn't want it.

Frankly, we are glad, because the stronger stuff makes him soooooo CRABBY.

FINALLY... earlier today he tells me "It hurts a bit"

then he says "Well, I don't want to tell you it hurts, because then you make me take the yukky tasting medicine."

HILARIOUS and BRILLIANT.

What a strong little guy!

Instead of taking relief for his pain ... which by the way we wisely had FLAVORED for him ...

he suffers through the pain ... so his mouth doesn't taste bad.

We know it hurts, he guards it when we move him. He will wince when he thinks I'm not looking. and now he admits it hurts. He simply puts on his strong face.

On day three I coaxed out of him that it felt better NOW than BEFORE the surgery.

Now, we are left wondering... how bad was this hurting BEFORE the surgery?

We will never know. But I can muster a guess at pretty painful.

Thank God this is over. Yes, we have a few weeks of cast, but Healing is taking place!

2 comments:

Ryan Hale said...

Yeah! I am so glad he can already telling it isn't hurting as much. Makes it worth it doesn't it?

gh

Lucas Daniel said...

I just had to laugh at... "Inconceivable!" Through all this, Princess Bride shines through. :) Praying for you.